Match Reports


posted 7 Dec 2016, 01:25 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 7 Dec 2016, 01:31 ]

With recent press we would like to reassure our parents/guardians and players that all our managers are checked via the disclosing and barring service prior to commencement of any coaching of the children and regularly update their safeguarding certification. Please see the following information from the FA website.

The club has a welfare officer and assistant who are up to date on all current regulations.

Please see below recent correspondence from the FA:


Dear Club Secretary,

I am writing to you today to ensure that all our clubs are aware of the recent disclosures of child abuse in football and what they should do next if they have any concerns.

Everyone at The FA is appalled by the horrific abuse that has been suffered by former footballers. I applaud their immense courage and bravery in coming forward. Our thoughts are with the victims of this abuse and we are clear that we will do everything we can to support them.

I wanted to ensure that you are left in no doubt concerning how seriously The FA is approaching these disclosures. At the moment, and in line with the normal FA safeguarding procedures, we are working closely with the police and relevant authorities and we continue to encourage anyone with information about possible child abuse to report their concerns to the police, The FA or the NSPCC.

I am sure you too are deeply concerned about the recent disclosures and it is of course important to emphasise the diligence with which clubs must approach their safeguarding responsibilities. I am therefore writing to every grassroots club in the country, while my counterparts in the Premier League and EFL are writing to the professional clubs too.

All clubs need to ensure their safeguarding is a priority. Together, we will make sure that the game we all love can be played in a safe, fun environment.

Firstly, I would like your help to ensure that we can offer support to those who need it. Please ensure that those at your club are aware of the specific helpline we have commissioned the NSPCC to provide to help encourage more people to come forward. The number is 0800 023 2642.

Secondly, I ask you too for extra vigilance with regards to safeguarding and your procedures. If you have any concerns, please contact The FA through

We cannot and will not be complacent. Despite the fact that the safeguarding landscape has changed significantly in recent years, we must ensure we all treat the topic with the utmost care. As you know, The FA works collaboratively on prevention and investigations with the Premier League, the EFL and County FAs, along with other football stakeholders. The FA has a team of safeguarding professionals who put in place preventative measures via policy, education, best practice and support for the network of people acting as Designated Safeguarding Officers (DSOs). That team is here to help you if you need it; as a grassroots club you can also seek advice and guidance directly from your CFA DSO. In addition our specialist Case Management Team comprised of safeguarding professionals manage referrals and concerns, working closely with the statutory agencies in relation to investigations and put in place safeguards to manage people who pose, or may pose a risk of harm.

This framework sees 8,500 DSOs across the professional and grassroots game and carries out some 55,000 criminal records checks each season. 35,000 coaches and referees also attend The FA’s safeguarding awareness course each season and each club of course also implements its own safeguarding policy.

Collectively we will continue to work together to ensure that these measures are robust and that football is played safely across the country.

If you have any concerns please contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Greg Clarke

Please like our Facebook page

posted 7 Dec 2016, 01:22 by Simon McCabe

We have now launched our facebook page, for all the latest news please like us here.

2016/17 Season – Wareham Rangers Youth Football Club Ltd.

posted 15 Mar 2016, 04:25 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 11 Apr 2017, 07:45 ]

2016/17 Season – Wareham Rangers Youth Football Club Ltd.


The 2016/17 season sees a lot of new developments and exciting opportunities for the Club.  We have recently become an incorporated Organisation and we are in the process of finalising the details and benefits this brings to WRYFC.  We will shortly be applying to become a Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) which again brings many benefits and fundraising opportunities to the club.  

As a club we pride ourselves on the commitment, attitude and ability of the players, committee and everyone who lends their help and support to the teams, which creates ambassadors for the club and representatives of Wareham.  Yet again this message is as strong as ever and the teams continue to reflect the high standards and dedication the club expects.  This was evident at our end of season presentation night which was held on Saturday 14th May at Purbeck Sports Centre where the Team Managers presented awards to very deserving winners and the following people were awarded club level recognition:

Club Person of the Year:        Fran Lewis, Welfare Officer & Under 15’s   

Club Team of the Year:          Under 15’s

This year saw the introduction of a new award in recognition of Chalky White, founder of WRYFC who passed away in November 2015.  The award was presented by his wife Carole White to Tyler Rigby, Under 10 team.  Tyler received this high recognition as he has continually demonstrated he is a true team player, he attended every single training session last season and his attitude and commitment reflects the fair play ethos of the club as he always puts the needs of the club before his own – well done Tyler!

The club continues to thrive and currently has over 114 players registered across 2 Dorset Football Association affiliated leagues:

  • Dorset Mini Soccer League (under 9's)
  • Dorset Youth League (Under 11's - Under 16's)

We are also pleased to welcome new members to the club and look forward to starting our Little Kickers team in September.  

We are very proud to be an FA Charter Standard Community Club. This is the highest award for a youth football club and we strive to embed and reflect a culture emulating the FA's Respect Code of Conduct across all teams.

Please take a look at our website and see our vision for taking the club forward - we would love you and your children to be part of that future.

Lindsey White 

RINGWOOD TOWN YOUTH U13s vs WAREHAM RANGERS U13s: 1-6 (League Division 2, 6th March 2016)

posted 9 Mar 2016, 08:03 by Simon McCabe

Wareham make their Mothers’ Day

Wareham Rangers’ season seemed to be fizzling out with three defeats in their last three games, but it came back to life today with an impressive 1-6 away win at Ringwood Town Youth.  Wareham arrived a player short, leaving visiting fans fearing a Mother’s Day massacre, but their doubts were misplaced as the ten men showed more fight and finishing flair than the eleven beaten by Parkstone, Swanage and Bridport in recent games.

The victory was all the more impressive as Wareham had to come back from a goal down after Ringwood broke the deadlock of the first 30 minutes with a sharply taken breakaway goal.  At this point, it looked like it might be a familiar story for Wareham - creating chances but failing to convert them, and ultimately being punished for their profligacy.  This time, however, Wareham responded to adversity superbly.  Just five minutes after going behind, Callum passed to Christian on the half-way line and the striker's Cruyff turn, run and shot for the equaliser left the Ringwood defence wondering what had hit them.  Four minutes later, just seconds before half-time, he did the same again with a self-made goal which saw Wareham go in 1-2 up at the change of ends.

Ringwood continued to play some good football, and looked more likely to score in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, but Wareham's defence held firm.  Gabe, out of position between the sticks in the absence of James, made several brilliant saves at crucial times in the game.  Dannon, George and Luke defended solidly and always looked to play the ball out neatly from the back.  Alfie had an outstanding game in the centre of defence - as the visiting fans chanted: 'He's never beaten, he's Alfie Leaton.'  This solid back-line, which was well protected by Joe and Samuel winning more battles in midfield than they lost, and aided by energetic tracking back from Callum and Harry, ensured that Wareham maintained their one goal lead.  They went on to extend it when Christian broke free again. His shot hit the post, but Callum was quickest to react and followed up brilliantly to snatch a well-deserved goal.

Wareham's fourth goal was a work of art: Alfie and Dannon were under pressure in their own final third, but exchanged passes calmly to play their way out of danger and release Joe on the half-way line.  Harry's run down the wing drew the attention of the Ringwood defence, creating the space for Joe to put Christian through.  From here, the striker was never going to miss his second chance to secure a hat-trick.  Even at 1-4 up, the visiting fans could not relax, conscious that the ten men could easily tire as the game went on.  But they under-estimated Wareham's spirit as well as their stamina, and the visitors went on to score twice more.  Joe followed Callum's example, pouncing on the rebound after a shot from Harry hit the woodwork to slot home with 10 minutes to go, and Christian completed a performance of great strength and clinical finishing with his fourth goal, a right-footed shot which beat the Ringwood keeper 5 minutes from time.

Ringwood continued to play some neat football but by this time Wareham's dominance was complete, a fact summed up in the way the home team's final attack of the match ended with Alfie contemptuously shrugging off a Ringwood attacker to shepherd the ball safely into touch for a goal kick.

This was a spirited performance from the ten men, to which every player contributed hugely.  They rediscovered some of the ruthlessness which saw them rise to the top of the table earlier in the season and hopefully they can do so again in their final game at Gillingham later this month.

Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented ‘What a fantastic performance from the lads today.  It wasn't ideal preparation to turn up and find we only had 10 players but thanks to the excellent attitude and commitment they all showed, it ended up being one of the more positive displays of the whole season and something we can really take a lot of pride and belief from.  Most importantly of all, it made the earache caused by spending Mother’s Days watching football all the more bearable, well done boys!!!‘

Peter Moore

WAREHAM RANGERS U13s vs BRIDPORT YOUTH U13: 1-3 (League Division 2, 14th February 2016)

posted 21 Feb 2016, 01:28 by Simon McCabe

Bridport Complete the Double over Wareham

A strong Bridport team completed home and away wins over Wareham this season - the only side in the league to do so - with a 1-3 victory in a chilly Valentine's Day fixture which saw the home side's long stint at the top of the table come to an untimely end.

Wareham started well and Christian almost repeated last week's feat of scoring in the first minute of the game but his shot skidded just wide.  The striker came close again seven minutes later when a Bridport defensive mix-up presented a good opportunity.  The home side broke the deadlock in the 17th minute with their move of the match: Kyle, Dannon and Christian were all involved in some neat one-touch passing which ended with Harry slotting in with his left foot.

While Wareham dominated the early exchanges, they spurned too many chances and Bridport signalled their intent by hitting the woodwork either side of the Wareham opening goal.  Gabe, in goal for the absent James, made some crucial saves with his feet but was powerless to stop the Bridport equaliser in the 31st minute following Wareham's failure to clear their lines.  Otherwise, the back line of George, Luke, Alfie and Ethan acquitted themselves well and 1-1 was probably a fair result at half-time. 

Bridport started brightest in the second half, scoring shortly after the restart.  Ethan's last-ditch tackle prevented a Bridport third, but in truth the visitors looked most likely to score. They did so again mid-way through the half to make it 1-3.  Wareham battled bravely but struggled to get out of their own half, and rarely looked like threatening the Bridport goal after half-time. 

Samuel came on for Callum and while both were industrious, neither could penetrate Bridport's increasingly solid-looking defensive line.  Joe came closest with an intelligent but slightly wayward free kick after the Bridport keeper handled outside the area.  He was perhaps distracted by the visiting manager's attempt to hold up play with a cheeky substitution as the Wareham captain quite legitimately tried to take the free kick quickly.  The Bridport coach then had the nerve to jeer as the shot went wide!  Wareham at least remembered their manners and applauded off the Bridport boys, now up to third and with games in hand, as worthy winners.

Manager Darren Mears commented "To be fair to the opposition, we were beaten by the better team this week.  This though, again, could have been a different story as the amount of clear-cut chances we created in the first 20 minutes should have been enough to put the game to bed.  The second half was a repeat of the previous week and saw us lose our way with wayward passing and not getting close enough to the opposition in all areas of the pitch. Ultimately, the game drifted away from us with the message to the players at the final whistle being remember the first 20 minutes and learn from the rest".

Peter Moore

SWANAGE TOWN AND HERSTON U13s vs WAREHAM RANGERS U13s: 4-3 (League Division 2, 7th January 2016)

posted 11 Feb 2016, 08:06 by Simon McCabe

Wareham Come Out Second Best in Seven Goal Thriller

First-placed Wareham travelled to second-placed Swanage this weekend but it was the home side who came out on top in the Purbeck derby.

In contrast to their last sluggish performance against Parkstone, the visitors got off to a flying start, Joe winning the ball in midfield and setting up Christian to muscle his way through to make it 0-1 with a right-footed shot.  Wareham played some neat passing football for the next 20 minutes, winning several corners, and doubling their advantage when the Swanage keeper could only palm Dannon's lofted shot onto the bar, with Christian following up the rebound for a poacher's goal to make it 0-2.  Shortly after, he was denied a hat-trick by the Swanage keeper's boot as a low shot looked certain to creep in at the corner.

Wareham's back-line of Alfie, Gabe, Ethan and Luke held solid and while Swanage looked dangerous around the edge of the visitor's box, they struggled to get into it.  That all changed in the 30th minute when a Swanage counter-attack from a Wareham corner provided a chance for the home side to get one back which they duly took.  I was still writing '2-1 on the stroke of half-time' into my notebook when, in the added minutes which left the visiting fans wondering if they had passed through a new time zone en route to the coastal town, Swanage scored again to make it 2-2.

The home side maintained their momentum when the second half kicked off, scoring a third shortly after the restart.  Things looked grim for Wareham but they rallied and, in the move of the match, Luke's powering run from defence and pass to Dannon saw the midfielder cut inside and set up Christian for a hat-trick and the equaliser.  Luke, Samuel and Dannon had run themseves into the Swanage mud, and made way for George, Callum and Josh.  Despite the fresh legs, Wareham were unable to get out of their own half during a period of sustained Swanage pressure.  With only a few minutes remaining, the visitors were caught trying to play out from the back, Swanage's talented number 6 pinching the ball and running through to chip James for the winning goal.

While Swanage have a game in hand, Wareham's handsome goal difference at least keeps them top of the table as we approach the business end of the season.

Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented "Little did I know when my boot fell apart in the warm up, that it was a sign of things to come as one our most impressive twenty minutes of the season was followed by easily the worst fifty.  We were cruising at 2-0 up and I was getting quite excited about the prospect of giving our local rivals a good hiding but as soon as we conceded you could see the confidence drain out of our lads and it was almost as if they resigned themselves to what was to follow.  By the end, Swanage ran out deserved winners and should probably have won by more as we seemed incapable of keeping the ball despite doing it so well in the early stages.  With the season having followed exactly the same pattern as last year, we really need to work on mental toughness and being able to respond to adversity if we're to overcome this sense of deja vu in the final three games."

Peter Moore

WAREHAM RANGERS U13s vs PARKSTONE FALCONS U13s: 2-3 (League Division 2, 10th January 2016)

posted 11 Jan 2016, 13:41 by Simon McCabe

A New Year Mugging for Wareham Rangers

It all went a bit 'Premier League' at Wareham Rangers’ first game of 2016 as the table-topping home side went down 2-3 to a third from bottom Parkstone team which had greatly improved from the one which lost the corresponding fixture 2-10 earlier in the season.

Parkstone signalled their intent with the first attack of the match which saw them go close from a corner. But Wareham soon settled and after a run and shot by Harry led to a goalmouth scramble, Christian was able to pounce on the loose ball to make it 1-0 in the 11th minute. Crucial covering tackles by Alfie and Gabe kept the scoreline at 1-0 before a period of Parkstone pressure was rewarded with a firmly-headed equaliser from a corner. Wareham regrouped and Christian had two shots on target saved in quick succession, but it took a speculative effort from Gabe from just outside the centre circle to beat the Parkstone keeper in the 20th minute and restore the home side's one goal advantage. Kyle, Harry and Joe all went close before half-time but Parkstone were still in the game having forced a couple of good saves from James.

Callum, on for Samuel, and George, on for Luke at half-time, started brightly, the former forcing a brave save from the visiting goalie. Joe then went close having teed up a shot for himself from Harry's whipped cross. As the second half progressed, despite their lead, Rangers’ confidence seemed to ebb just as Parkstone's grew. Wareham's normally solid defence became increasingly nervous and a penalty to Parkstone in the 43rd minute was no less than they deserved.

Wareham tried to rally, but could only squander the opportunities offered by successive corners, while at the other end, Parkstone caused mayhem from a corner of their own, forcing a brilliant double save from James to keep Wareham in it. At this point, a draw would have been a fair result but, urged on by the coaching staff and the home fans, Wareham pressed for a winner, Harry, Joe, Josh (on for the injured Christian) and Callum all having chances to win the game. But Wareham's ambition proved their undoing as, with a minute to go, Parkstone nicked the points with a well taken, counter-attacking goal.

While Parkstone undoubtedly deserved something from this match, Wareham will rue the chances they spurned. They will hope to rediscover the ruthlessness in front of goal which swept them to the top in the first half of the season in time for their next fixture, a crucial 'six-pointer' against second-placed Swanage in the hotly contested Purbeck derby.

Manger Darren Mears commented “Today, we found ourselves rueing missed chances, which as the game continued gave Parkstone the confidence to eventually take all 3 points. At times we were guilty of not picking up our runners and not clearing the ball when necessary. I can't fault the lad’s effort and there were some great individual performances. The lads even embraced a change in shape and formation in the second half which in fact gave us more balance and more variation to our attacking play. Ultimately, the 2 goals aside, we couldn't hit a cow’s backside with a banjo today”.

Peter Moore

WAREHAM RANGERS U13s vs GILLINGHAM TOWN YOUTH U13s: 2-0 (League Division 2, 13th December 2015)

posted 8 Jan 2016, 01:02 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 8 Jan 2016, 01:04 ]

Rangers Labour to Unconvincing Victory

After the visit to Bridport's jungle pitch, it was good to be back at the green, green grass of home for a match against third place and undefeated Gillingham Town. Gillingham were only able to muster 10 players and played with spirit and determination to make up for the missing man. Although Wareham had a few bright spots in the first twenty minutes, the overwhelming reaction of the Wareham coaches and supporters was to be distinctly underwhelmed by a disorganised and disjointed performance. However, in the space of around five minutes, Christian scored two goals to put Wareham ahead. The first came after good work from Callum on the right who moved the ball to Kyle; Kyle passed to Christian who still had to turn the defence before firing powerfully home. The second goal resulted from a peach of a through ball from Kyle; Christian turned on the afterburners and shot past the Gillingham defender before slotting the ball coolly into the net. Throughout the half, the Wareham defence was tested repeatedly with Gabe working hard and effectively in the centre and James called into action in goal.

It might have been expected that Gillingham would run out of steam in the second half, but they kept the pressure on Wareham with James even busier than he had been in the first half. He produced a series of saves and blocks to keep a well-deserved clean sheet. Despite some penetrating Wareham attacks, Rangers never really stabilised the match in the second half and there was a sense of relief when the final whistle went. Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented ”The lads played a bit like an energy saving light bulb today: they took half an hour to get going and even then only just did enough to get the job done. Another unconvincing performance on the whole, perhaps not helped by the two week break. However, they say it's the sign of a good team to be able to win when not playing well and there were some positives to take out of it, another clean sheet being one. The win keeps us in a decent position heading in to the Christmas break and hopefully we can all come back fully refreshed and not too overweight for the final push in the New Year.

Jol Mitchell

BRIDPORT YOUTH U13s vs WAREHAM RANGERS U13s: 6-3 (League Division 2, 22 November 2015)

posted 22 Nov 2015, 12:04 by Simon McCabe

Down to Earth with a Bump in Bridport

Table-topping Wareham's unbeaten run in the league came to an abrupt halt at Bridport today with a 6-3 defeat.  The visitors were outgunned up-front and out-fought in midfield by a Bridport side who just seemed to get to the loose ball a little quicker, and wanted to win a little more, than Wareham.  While the long grass on the pitch did not exactly suit Wareham's passing game, both teams had to contend with it and Bridport clearly coped better, putting some good passing moves together despite the condition of the surface.

Bridport had the better of the early exchanges and scored first in the seventh minute. Wareham were prevented from going two down by the woodwork in the Wareham goal, and a great save from James.  The visitors showed signs of coming back into the game but for long periods of the first half were unable to make territory or possession count.  Then, in the 25th minute, Joe broke through the Bridport defence and was brought down by the keeper for a penalty, which Dannon converted powerfully to level the scores.  In the men's game, the Bridport goalie might have seen a red card and Wareham could have done with that as he went on to make a series of excellent saves to keep Wareham's attackers at bay.

Wareham seemed to have the momentum as the first half progressed and Harry and Christian both had chances to put the visitors in front but shot wide.  Then, just as the teams looked likely to go in at half-time all square, Joe beat the offside trap to run on to a lofted free kick from Gabe and skilfully lob the Bridport keeper to make it 2-1 to the visitors at the change of ends.

A goal just before half-time often gives the scoring team a psychological edge, but half-time in this fixture seemed to have the opposite effect: Bridport came out with renewed fight while Wareham seemed to lose theirs altogether.  Within three minutes of the restart, Bridport had counter-attacked from a Wareham corner and equalised with a skilful header from a pinpoint cross.

Six minutes later Bridport got their noses in front with another well worked goal from a corner.  Wareham were still in the game at this point, and George, on for Samuel at half-time, forced a save from the Bridport keeper for a corner.  However, Wareham were unable to capitalise, and after losing another midfield battle, failed to stop a Bridport through-ball which was converted to make it 4-2.  Hesitation in the Wareham defence after James was unable to hold on to a Bridport shot was punished by another Bridport goal for 5-2, and from then on, it was a case of damage limitation for the visitors.

Last ditch tackles by Alfie and Gabe, and a series of great saves by James, prevented the scoreline becoming even more one-sided, and Christian gave the visitors a glimmer of hope with a battling goal to make it 5-3 with six minutes to go.  It was, in truth, false hope, and when a deflected goal restored Bridport's three goal advantage, Wareham's travelling fans and players knew it was all over.  Rangers remain at the top of the table on goal difference after the weekend's games – but the boys are going to have to sharpen up to stay there in the weeks ahead as the competition intensifies.

Manager Darren Mears commented “Away days to the further reaches of Dorset normally prove difficult.  On this occasion it was made more awkward due to the agricultural nature of the pitch which was more suited to the Dorset Steam Fair than a Dorset Division 2 fixture.  Nonetheless, the Bridport team played some great football and showed that the conditions should not affect the quality of football played.  We only showed glimpses of our recent form and must adapt better to those long car journeys.  We need to ensure that our usual expansive, pressing and quick passing style isn't kept solely for the home fans”.

Peter Moore

WAREHAM RANGERS U13s vs RINGWOOD TOWN U13s: 7-0 (League Division 2, 15 November 2015)

posted 17 Nov 2015, 01:20 by Simon McCabe

A Commanding Performance

The teams and spectators observed a minute's silence to pay their respects to those who tragically lost their lives in Paris on Friday.

Wareham Rangers started the game on the front foot, immediately putting Ringwood under pressure with Christian shooting just wide.  Soon after, Kyle played Harry in for the first Wareham goal.  The first ten minutes saw a succession of Wareham shots.  Dannon and Samuel combined well on the right before the ball went to Kyle via Joe; Kyle's lofted shot made it 2-0.  It wasn't totally one way though as James was forced to make a good save to deny Ringwood; three minutes later he came out bravely to save at the feet of a Ringwood attacker.  In the meantime however, Dannon assisted Harry with his second goal to make it 3-0 to Wareham.  The game now settled into a pattern: the Wareham back four of Ethan, Luke, Gabe and Alfie looked calm and composed, central midfield was being dominated by Dannon, Joe and Kyle who were dinking through balls seemingly at will and combining with Samuel on the right, and every time Christian and Harry got the ball, a goal looked possible.  After twenty-five minutes, Christian turned provider, setting Joe up for a tap-in for Wareham's fourth.  Four minutes later, Christian broke from the halfway line, outran the defence, turned inside and slotted it home for a 5-0 lead.  The final Wareham goal of the half came from Christian after a classy flick through from Kyle.

The second half was marginally more balanced; the first Ringwood corner of the match came five minutes into the half.  However, five minutes later, Ringwood failed to pick up Joe on the edge of the box; his shot took a minor deflection on its way to the top corner to make it 7-0.  The Wareham pressure continued with George and Callum combining well on the right, and Josh making some penetrating runs through the middle.  An excellent Harry corner was almost volleyed home by Kyle, and Dannon and Harry had shots blocked.  Ringwood occasionally threatened with James forced into action, coming out to clear and making a great save to stop what looked like a certain goal.  The game ended with Wareham (eventually!) organising a wall to defend a Ringwood free kick to maintain their deserved clean sheet.

Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented “After a slight drop in standards last week it was great to see the lads bounce back to their best today and produce possibly their most complete performance ever.  Right from the off, they pressed well and played with a tempo that caused Ringwood problems all over the pitch.  Some of the passing and build up play from back to front was exceptional and the boys that came on in the second half seamlessly kept that going right to the end.  We now need to make sure we use this as a benchmark to set our standards by as we head into some potentially tricky fixtures in the run up to Christmas”.

Jol Mitchell

1-10 of 48