Match Reports‎ > ‎

BROADSTONE FC vs WAREHAM RANGERS U12’s 1-4 Win (1/2/2015)

posted 1 Feb 2015, 13:49 by Simon McCabe


With three matches to go, each game is a must-win as Wareham Rangers continue to be chased hard by Swanage and Ringwood.  So, no pressure there then!  A blast of arctic air had the parents huddled pitifully behind the treeline around Broadstone’s slopy pitch while the Coaches and players manfully withstood the freezing conditions.  Wareham started brightly and dominated the first half; Christian up front and Harry on the left caused the Broadstone defence problems from the outset.  Joe was driving forward from midfield and half way through the half, a run and shot resulted in the Broadstone goalie saving, only to see a Harry net-bursting special come back past him to open the score.  Wareham looked composed and in control at the back with Gabe, Ethan and Luke holding their positions and doing their jobs, as did James when rarely called on.  Samuel offered support from the right and Wareham almost scored again when Christian chipped the Broadstone goalie only for the ball to hit the base of the post.  Wareham could not convert their possession and dominance into goals until a pass from Joe found Dannon in the box.  Showing sublime control, Dannon took a touch and shot before the Broadstone defence realised what had happened: 2-0 to Wareham at half-time.

The Broadstone team had obviously had a hot toddy at half-time and came out determined to make a game of it in the second half and succeeded.  The game was more evenly balanced with Broadstone starting to stretch Wareham.  In return, Harry and Christian were continuing to cause problems with their speed, and Alfie was unlucky not to have a strong shot deflected.  However, an excellent Broadstone counter-attack started a wobbly period for Wareham.  A free-kick was conceded on the edge of the box and only great defending kept Broadstone from scoring.  Back at the other end, excellent work by Josh on the left almost set up a goal for Harry but his shot was just wide.  Gabe, Ethan and Alfie were forced to deal with a series of Broadstone attacks but a foul in the Wareham box resulted in a penalty.  The ever solid James got a hand to the shot, but couldn’t prevent it going in for a Broadstone goal.  The game could have gone away from Wareham at this point but the team showed great character in holding it together.  The speed duo of Christian and Harry went through again with Harry slotting home Christian’s cross for Wareham’s third goal.  This knocked the stuffing out of Broadstone and the game was put beyond their reach when Joe headed home a Harry corner to make it 4-1.

Manager Darren Mears commented: ‘A very gritty performance today saw the lads improving on the lethargic home game of last week even though the northerly icy blast threatened to turn the afternoon blue (I'm sure there were icebergs in Holes Bay).  I always felt though that we had enough quality in all departments to keep a very determined Broadstone side at arms length even during a torrid 10 minute onslaught from the home side during the second half.  With only two matches remaining, the lads have got to maintain the effort, desire and footballing philosophy that has seen us have such a successful season so far’.

Jol Mitchell