Match Reports‎ > ‎


posted 24 Jan 2015, 03:15 by Simon McCabe


An away fixture at much improved Chickerell United proved just too much for Wareham Rangers despite a spirited performance this weekend.  While 0-0 would probably have been a fair result, Chickerell edged it with a late goal which was, in truth, testament to the extra bit of hunger which the home side demonstrated, particularly in the second half.

With the biting wind behind them in the first half, Rangers hit the woodwork twice and Chickerell forced good saves from James such that 0-0 was a fair score at the change of ends, although it did not do justice to the quality of the football played by both sides at times.  The game looked like ending that way until, with just 5 minutes to go, Chickerell manufactured a goal to take the points and leave Wareham’s travelling fans and players miserable as well as cold.

In the early exchanges, Wareham looked most likely to score, Joe’s long range effort rattling the Chickerell bar, and a goal mouth scramble from a corner seeing the ball bounce frustratingly off the post.  Wareham enjoyed a high corner count but, unlike last weekend when set pieces provided the foundation for a Wareham win, this week no-one seemed able to get on the end of Joe’s well placed kicks.

Despite the loss there was no shame in the manner of Wareham’s defeat: the starting line-up of James, Gabe, Ethan, Alfie, Joe, Harry, Dannon, Samuel and Christian all worked hard, as did subs Luke, Callum, George and Nathan.  Ethan had a particularly good game in defence, foiling countless Chickerell attacks down their right hand side.  James did well not to freeze in the Wareham goal and was no doubt glad that on the occasions when Chickerell broke through his back line he was able to run out and gather or warm his palms on stinging shots which were either tipped over or around the woodwork.

Chickerell played some good football, their imposing number 2 spraying the ball around from midfield, and when the ball fell to him from a Wareham defensive throw, he made the crucial lay off from which Chickerell scored the winning goal.  Wareham’s cutting edge was blunted by the goal as well as the second half wind in their faces, and despite game efforts to create chances in the dying minutes, the clock was by then already against the visitors.

Manager Darren Mears commented: ‘An away day to Chickerell which was always envisaged to be a difficult match proved to be exactly that.  A close fought match was ultimately won by the side showing the greater level of grit and determination of which today we were lacking’.

Peter Moore