Match Reports‎ > ‎

Poole Town Wessex Rovers vs Wareham Rangers U12s 3-4

posted 9 Nov 2014, 14:20 by Simon McCabe


It was back to the league for Wareham Rangers today following last weekend’s cup victory and a difficult away fixture at Poole Town. After a respectfully observed minute’s silence for Remembrance Sunday, Poole were first to come forward, forcing an early double-save from James. A couple of minutes later, he was unfortunate not to keep out a Poole Town penalty. Wareham heads seemed to drop at this and by the 8th minute it was 2-0, another good Poole penalty going high into the net. A third penalty was awarded two minutes later, but this time it went to the visitors who had attacked straight from the kick off. Dannon matched Poole’s penalty taker for power and accuracy to make it 2-1. Hopes that this goal would signal a Wareham come-back were short lived though as Poole won a corner. A goal mouth scramble ensued from which Poole ultimately capitalised to restore their two goal advantage.

Two seasons ago Wareham might have wilted at this setback but not this year: in the 18th minute George intercepted a Poole Town goal kick in right midfield, and the ball was moved to Harry who played in Christian to skilfully round the keeper and reduce the deficit. With five minutes to go to half-time, Wareham’s travelling fans might have settled for 3-2 but to do so would have been to under-estimate their team’s ambition: Christian held the ball up having received a throw in from Joe in the corner, then returned the ball to Joe to ping a wicked low cross across the box to be met by Harry for a trusty left foot shot to bring the scores level at half-time.

If Wareham had been tentative in the first half, the second saw them much quicker out of the blocks, a corner being narrowly headed over by Christian in the 33rd minute. Christian and Harry both had chances to nudge Wareham ahead, finding themselves on the end of superb Wareham counter-attacks started by the solid back line of Gabe, Ethan and Alfie linking to Dannon, Joe and George who all worked hard in midfield. With six goals before half-time there was hope of more in the second, but both teams seemed to have shored up their defences. James made a great stop with his feet in the 42nd minute, and the significance of his crucial saves on the result became clear soon after: Harry made a characteristic powering run from deep in his own half, skinning two Poole defenders en route to a neat squared cross for Christian. The striker still had plenty to do but buried the ball firmly in the Poole Town net.

From this point on it was end to end, Harry hitting the Poole Town post either side of a dangerous Poole Town free kick which was again well saved by James. I can’t say much about the last 10 minutes as my note pad went strangely blank at about the same point I started biting my nails. Suffice to say it was extremely tense, and involved wave after wave of Poole attacks. Callum and Nathan, both on as subs, worked hard to provide the outlet which Rangers needed to relieve the constant pressure. These efforts, committed defending, James’s saves and a diving header by Gabe to clear a goalbound shot all combined to keep Rangers’ slender lead intact. In the dying seconds Rangers survived one last goal mouth melee, and to the relief of the travelling fans, the whistle eventually blew on a scintillating game.

Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented: ‘The lads showed great strength of character today to twice come from two goals down and still be in the game at half time. They took on board what we had to say at the break and put in a really brave, battling second half performance to come away with the points against a competitive Poole side’.

Pete Moore