Match Reports‎ > ‎


posted 15 Dec 2014, 01:21 by Simon McCabe

Back on Track

Coming off the back of two defeats, Wareham Rangers U12’s supporters and players gathered somewhat nervously at a cold and windy Swanage pitch, adjacent to the Swanage Steam Railway, to play their undefeated local rivals. 

Nerves were not helped when Swanage opened the scoring after five minutes with a cleanly placed goal which left James with no chance.  Wareham needed to wake up, and they did!  Up front, Christian and Harry started to cause Swanage problems, but the game ebbed and flowed with James being made to make a series of excellent stops in the Wareham goal.  Wareham gradually started to play some good football with Luke, Samuel and Christian combining well down the right, and Joe and Dannon playing some intelligent through balls out of midfield.  Wareham slowly began to make headway in the game, culminating in a great goal: Christian released the ball to Harry who unleashed an unstoppable shot from a tight angle.  The first half ended at 1-1, reflecting the balanced state of play.

The second half was tense and saw a continuation of the first, with solid defending by Wareham and the continual threat of Harry, Christian and Nathan at the other end.  Wareham started to believe in themselves when a great run by Christian down the right culminated in a cross was smashed into the net from close range by Harry to make it 2-1.  The Swanage goalie made an excellent save from Harry, and at the other end, James was dealing with everything that was thrown at him.  Ethan, Gabe and George made a series of potentially goal-saving tackles and blocks, as did Alfie, playing each of his defensive positions with typical poise.  On the right wing, Callum again showed the benefits of tireless running and pressing the opposition.

With ten minutes to go, tension ratcheted up another notch with a series of Swanage corners.  The defence was working overtime, with James making a series of brave saves, including an outstanding block from a close-range header.  As the clock ticked away, Josh came on to make a welcome return from injury.  With minutes to go, Joe won the ball in the Wareham half and sliced through the Swanage defence before slotting it past the advancing Swanage goalie to make it 3-1.  Shortly afterwards, Alfie showed great determination to score after good support work from Nathan.  Shortly afterwards, the final whistle blew to give Wareham a 4-1 victory.

Manager Darren Mears commented ‘After an unusually slow start we eventually showed the character and determination to remove this final elephant in the room.  Again the lads showed intelligence in the second half to realise where improvements needed to be made. We were tougher in the tackle and positionally sound which gave us the platform from which we were able to be more creative.  Merry Christmas indeed!’

Your correspondent apologises for this sub-standard report, not up to level produced by our usual scribe, but I was too tense and excited to write much down, and what I did, I could hardly read afterwards!

Jol Mitchell