Match Reports‎ > ‎

WAREHAM RANGERS U-13s v GRANGE ATHLETIC U-13s: 7-1 (13 September 2015)

posted 13 Sep 2015, 11:55 by Simon McCabe

Rangers score seven again


Wareham Rangers have now scored seven goals in each of their first two games of the season though were fortunate that today’s opposition turned up without a full complement of players.  But they say you can only beat what’s in front of you, and they certainly did that, making the extra man count, particularly with some direct but devastating counter-attacks.

 Not that the game started terribly well for the home side as Grange cut through the home defence like a knife through butter to go one up in the eighth minute.  To their credit, Rangers did not panic and within five minutes had restored order to go 2-1 up, both goals coming from Christian in quick succession – the first a good run and shot following an incisive through ball from Joe, the second a simple but powerful finish from a Harry cross. Wareham then rode a period of Grange pressure before Christian completed an impressive first-half hat-trick, with another assist from Joe in the 20th minute.  Six minutes later it was 4-1, Dannon lacing the ball in-off the woodwork with his less favoured right foot after Grange appeared to have cleared the third of three Wareham corners in quick succession.

 Wareham’s passing was not as crisp as last weekend; their positional play may have been more exposed had Grange not been a man down and the home side also seemed to be losing out in the 50:50s between the two teams.  Indeed, in contrast to last week when the football was tidy but the finishing wasteful, this week was the opposite as ruthlessness in front of goal compensated for some unconvincing play in other areas of the pitch.  But when Christian scored his fourth straight from a throw-in on the half-hour mark, it was difficult to see Grange coming back.  An unfortunate own goal from the Grange keeper, and a sweetly struck, long range effort from Joe which sailed into the net, rubbed salt into the visitors’ wounds.

 The second half saw Callum replace Samuel on the right, with Josh on for Harry on the left. Grange restored some pride after the interval by preventing Wareham from adding to the 7-1 scoreline.  The Wareham defence was also forced to wake up and respond to some promising attacks from the visitors.  The back-line of Ethan, Alfie, Luke and George, which looked slightly vulnerable to the ball in behind in the first half, dealt with everything that was thrown at them calmly and confidently in the second half, to the extent that Gabe only had one effort on target to save, which he did well to tip around the post.  Wareham had their own chances in the second half, Dannon hitting the woodwork, Kyle going just wide from a free kick, Josh forcing a good save from the Grange keeper and later hitting the side netting. While unable to add to their tally, Wareham remained content at the final whistle.

 Assistant Manager Kev Keates said “Despite the flattering scoreline myself and Darren were underwhelmed with the performance today as we lacked any real cohesion or conviction in our play and failed to string any more than a couple of passes together at any one time.  Whether this was down to the conditions or the standard of the opposition, it’s difficult to know but we’ll definitely need to improve next time out.  On the plus side, we scored some great goals and in the first half at least, were far more clinical in front of goal than we were last week.  Overall we can’t complain too much as six points from our first two games is a good effort from the lads and gives us a good platform to build on for the rest of the season”.

Pete Moore