Match Reports‎ > ‎

WAREHAM RANGERS U12s v WEYMOUTH COUGARS 8-0 win (22-02-2015)

posted 23 Feb 2015, 03:27 by Simon McCabe

Rangers finish final fixture of the season in style - and sleet

After last weekend’s slip up at home to high flying Ringwood, Wareham could do no more than win their last game of the season and hope that results elsewhere go their way in the coming weeks.  They duly delivered with a convincing 8-0 win over Weymouth Cougars who seemed to have lost their bite in the foul conditions.  The weather was so bad that good play was rewarded by substitutions to warm up in the dugout, and subs were brought on more as a punishment for larking about on the touchline than to provide reinforcements.

Both sides took a few minutes to get going but after a few shots off target, first blood went to Wareham in the 10th minute when Dannon cut inside to play in Christian to make it 1-0. Harry was looking good on the wing and his persistence paid off in the 12th minute when he battled with the Weymouth keeper to eventually slot home for 2-0, having been well set up by Samuel.  Dannon and Christian combined again shortly after for the striker’s second to make it 3-0.  Wareham applied constant pressure for the rest of the first half; Joe’s shot from the corner of the box made it 4-0, and a mesmerising run by Harry ending with a layoff to Dannon who lifted the ball into the top corner of the net made it 5-0 at half time.

George, Calum, Luke and Josh came on for Alfie, Harry, Christian and Gabe, but Gabe had to return to action in goal to replace James who had to be chipped away from the Wareham goal line at half time having frozen near solid there.  Even wrapping him in the rest of the team’s coats could not thaw him out and he was unable to return to the action in the second half.  Weymouth stood firm after the restart but Wareham’s passing game, unfortunately absent last weekend, returned with a vengeance.  However, it took an individual run through the Weymouth defence and shot into the net by Harry though to restore Wareham’s scoring habit 10 minutes into the second half to make it 6-0.  Calum almost scored six minutes later after a great run but was foiled by the Weymouth keeper at the last, but the latter was beaten shortly after when Joe set up Alfie for 7-0.  Josh administered the final blow having made space for himself to shoot and make it 8-0.

Apart from blocking a goal-bound shot from a rare Weymouth attack, George and Luke at the back had precious little to do in the second half and kept warm by running back and forth so much that they almost dug a trench just inside the Wareham half.  It wasn’t out of place on a pitch that looked like The Somme after an hour’s play.  It was a good job this was the last game of the season as Rangers played the last few minutes a man down having acquired a long injury list by the final whistle, losing James (pneumonia), Ethan (hypothermia) and Dannon (frostbite).

Weymouth fought gamely but could be forgiven for letting their heads drop having travelled all the way to Wareham to be battered by the weather as well as the opposition.  Both teams were therefore happy to hear the final whistle.  Manager Darren Mears dispensed with the usual post-match team talk to send the boys home for a well-earned hot bath, and commented ‘Final games of the season bring back memories of balmy afternoons with the smell of freshly mown grass and the opportunity to play with the sun on your back.  No such luck today.  Horrendous conditions.  Cold, windy and driving rain being one for the memory banks to forget.  The football at times though was of the highest order albeit against a Weymouth Cougars side lacking in confidence.  Both sides showed great character but throughout the match we showed the greater quality in all departments.  We are now waiting on results to see where we finish this season but I would like to congratulate the lads on what has been a great season with all players developing tremendously in all aspects of their game.  Bravo Gents, can’t wait for the next season.’

Pete Moore (your correspondent sheltering in the dugout while the rest of the parents got wet!).