Match Reports‎ > ‎

Wareham Rangers U12 vs Broadstone FC 5-2 (16/11/14)

posted 17 Nov 2014, 10:20 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 17 Nov 2014, 10:20 ]

The heavy rain shower which hit Wareham just before kick-off could not dampen the home team’s enthusiasm for winning as they saw off a spirited challenge from Broadstone FC in an exhilarating game.

With one minute on the clock it didn’t look like a winning performance was on the cards as a lively Broadstone team burst past Rangers’ back-line to make it 0-1. As with last week’s game, however, Rangers’ response to adversity was immediate, as Samuel headed onto the bar at the other end in the 2nd minute. Three minutes later, he went one better, accurately side-footing a cross from Joe into the corner of the Broadstone net to level the scores. This seemed to restore Wareham’s confidence and they scored again a minute later, Harry lashing an unstoppable shot in from an acute angle for 2-1. If there is a more forceful and reliable left foot in this division, we have yet to see it.

If Wareham fans thought this signalled the start of an easy ride they were mistaken: Broadstone rallied and in the 12th minute James pulled off the save of the match, leaping to his right to tip over an excellent shot at a crucial stage of the game to maintain Wareham’s slender advantage. End to end action ensued, but it was the Wareham defence which faltered next, failing to clear and allowing Broadstone to equalise in the 16th minute. Alfie and Gabe made several crucial clearances throughout this phase of the game, and from one of these Wareham built a counter-attack which ended with Samuel volleying in Harry’s lofted cross from close range at the far post. It remained 3-2 at half-time despite good chances at both ends which had home and away fans holding their breath on several occasions.

Wareham’s Manager must have felt the same as his team came out in the second half looking more organised and, indeed, ruthless: within two minutes of the restart they had stretched their lead to 4-2, Christian volleying in another excellent cross from Harry. Four minutes later and the striker had further extended Wareham’s lead to 5-2, turning and firing into the net following sterling work by Callum (on for Samuel) and Dannon to set up the half-chance.

Broadstone’s forwards, who had given Wareham’s defence such a torrid time in the first half, were kept much quieter in the second, George (on for Alfie) and Callum combining well to contain the away team’s skilful number 12. Ethan also made crucial interventions in the second half to frustrate Broadstone attacks, aided by the introduction of Luke, who put in some brave tackles after coming on for Gabe with 20 minutes to go. As well as defending well, Wareham put together some impressive passing moves in the second half, Joe often at the centre of them as he strolled confidently around the midfield with balance and poise. Dannon caused further problems for Broadstone, a mazy run in the 50th minute setting up Nathan (on for Christian) to shoot, only to see a good effort saved by the Broadstone keeper.

Broadstone enjoyed a good spell towards the end of the game but were unable to close the deficit, leaving Rangers at the top of the table, and with the highest goals tally in the league, as the half-way point of the season approaches. Manager Darren Mears commented:  ‘It was definitely a game of two halves this week, some scintillating, gung-ho attacking play in the first, which left us a bit exposed at times, but a much more disciplined and controlled performance in the second. We must learn to get the balance right between attack and defence which will also help the coaching staff and supporters have a less stressful afternoon!’ 

Peter Moore