Match Reports‎ > ‎


posted 3 Nov 2015, 05:58 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 3 Nov 2015, 06:04 ]

A Game of two Halves

Today's League Cup fixture against one of the leading Division 1 outfits, Dorchester Town Youth Dynamos, gave Wareham Rangers U13's the chance to see how they measured up against a strong team from the division above. For the first half, Wareham held their own and were unlucky to concede two long range shots that made it 2-0 to Dorchester. At the other end, Harry and Christian were causing the Dorchester defence problems, but a series of shots just wouldn't go in. Wareham's defence of James, Luke, Gabe, Alfie and Ethan were holding solid, with Kyle and Joe forming a shield in front. Dannon and Samuel tried hard to make something happen but were often thwarted by an energetic Dorchester midfield. The game was end to end: James made a stupendous brave save at the feet of a Dorchester attacker and the ball went quickly down the other end for Joe to slot a pass through to Christian whose shot just missed.

The second half saw more Dorchester pressure and despite sterling work from the defence and defensive midfield, Dorchester scored to make it 3-0 and then converted a penalty for a fourth. Josh and Callum worked hard but the game began to ebb away from Wareham as Dorchester scored a further three goals to run out 7-0 winners.

Assistant Manager Kev Keates commented “It was a day of mixed emotions for us today as despite a disappointing end result, the lads put on a first half display to be proud of and one that would have left any neutral watching wondering who the Division 1 team were. We were a bit unlucky to be undone by a couple of long range efforts having played all the best football ourselves. Unfortunately, once the third goal went in early in the second half too many heads went down and Dorchester ruthlessly took advantage. However, there was plenty to be positive about and plenty to learn from as we hope to be playing these kind of teams on a more regular basis next season”

Jol Mitchell