Match Reports‎ > ‎

WAREHAM RANGERS U13s vs ROSSGARTH U13s: 11-2 (Division 2, 11 October 2015)

posted 12 Oct 2015, 11:21 by Simon McCabe


Rangers got off to a sluggish start by all accounts - not as sluggish as your correspondent, who missed the first five minutes, about which I would relate more but for Jol's terrible hand-writing.  So let's just say the action started in the 8th minute when Christian latched on to a Luke clearance, put the ball onto his left foot and scored from the right hand side of the box to settle the home fans' nerves.  Four minutes later, the striker turned provider, making a powerful run down the left before squaring for Dannon to slot in with his right foot from close range.  Taking his cue from Christian, Dannon then did the honours a minute later to set up Kyle who calmly beat the keeper from the edge of the box with a sweetly struck lob.

Rangers were now rampant, Christian netting his second, cutting in from the left after another strong burst into the box.  Rossgarth weathered the storm for the next ten minutes, and the score would have been even more one-sided but for the brilliance of the Rossgarth keeper, and the generosity of Rangers' forward line who took to battering the brambles behind the visitors’ goal with a succession of shots going high over the bar into the Wareham equivalent of Row Z.  Home pressure eventually paid off, however, as Kyle headed home to make it 5-0 in the 26th minute.

Rossgarth were down but not out and caught Rangers on the break, their nippy number 9 skinning the Wareham defence and slotting the ball between James's legs.  The keeper otherwise had little to trouble him in the first half.  Similarly, while Gabe, Luke, Ethan and Alfie were rarely called on, they generally coped well when Rossgarth did make inroads to the Wareham half.  Joe restored the home side's five-goal advantage on the stroke of half-time with a header from an accurately lofted corner by Harry.

George, Josh and Callum came on at half-time and all were quick to make an impact: in an action-packed 3 minute spell, Callum burst down the right only to see his shot saved. George calmly put a foot on the ball in the right back position, turned his Rossgarth shadow and set up Joe whose pacy dribble ended with a diving save from the Rossgarth keeper.  Josh then broke the second half-deadlock with a poacher's goal, snaffling up the loose ball after Kyle's shot was saved.

Rossgarth again showed that their heads were not bowed despite the scoreline, claiming their second on the break with another nutmeg.  Any chance of a fightback was, however, snuffed out by Harry's run and shot to the corner to make it 8-2 in the 48th minute.  Josh's powerful run and shot made it 9 three minutes later, but he was denied a hat-trick soon after by another great save from the Rossgarth keeper.  He couldn't keep out Harry's shot to his near post ten minutes from time, however, nor could he deny Christian a hat-trick after Samuel's vision cut the Rossgarth defence open to create the opportunity.

Assistant Manager Kevin 'Keegan' Keates commented “It was nice to see the boys return to winning ways today after the disappointment of the last game.  They showed far more spirit, scored some good goals and never really let Rossgarth get a foothold in the game.  As with any game that becomes a little too easy, we lost our shape as the game wore on with the boys deciding to switch to the classic 4-0-6 formation!  Despite this meaning they didn't play the sort of football we were after, the lads at the back kept their concentration well and we did look a threat every time we went forward. Hopefully with a run of fixtures now, we can start to build momentum and improve week on week".

Peter Moore