Match Reports‎ > ‎

Weymouth Cougars Sport vs Wareham Rangers U12s 1-5 (12/10/14)

posted 13 Oct 2014, 05:22 by Simon McCabe   [ updated 14 Oct 2014, 01:35 ]

Dominant first half performance builds foundation for win

With two wins and two losses to date, Wareham Rangers U12s travelled to a grey and surprisingly cold Weymouth to play Weymouth Cougars Sports. Wareham started brightly with a well taken goal by Nathan after good work down the left flank by Harry. Continuing the pressure, Luke was denied by the Cougars goalie. At the other end, James made a a good stop; the ball was moved quickly down the pitch and finished by Nathan for Wareham to take a 2-0 lead. Nathan had obviously had a serious breakfast and was unplayable, latching onto a through ball from Dannon for his hat-trick. Wareham continued to dominate and push forward with Harry causing problems down the left and Joe and Dannon running from midfield and playing incisive through balls. Nathan turned provider, putting Dannon through for goal number four.  Josh came on and quickly made himself space for a shot; Joe forced an excellent save from the Cougars goalie; Nathan almost added to his tally before the referee blew for half-time. Throughout the half, Gabe, Ethan and Alfie gave the Cougars attack no space, dispossessing their players and moving the ball competently forward.

Wareham continued their pressure straight from the kick-off with good work from Samuel almost putting Callum through.  A Gabe header from a Dannon corner was a taste of what was to come later. Ethan burst out of defence, and almost scored from the resulting shot. Good work by George and Callum continued the pressure on Cougars, but they were starting to make inroads into the Wareham half, forcing James to make stops and come out and clear on a number of occasions. Callum went through, forcing a good save from the Cougars goalie; at the other end, a great tackle from Gabe stopped a Cougars attack in its tracks. Nathan was back on and causing problems to Cougars, George continued to attack from right midfield and an opportunistic shot from Luke was just wide. Christian came on to give his injured leg a try out and immediately made his presence felt up-front. Cougars were much more in the game in the second half and eventually scored when Wareham failed to clear their lines.  However, the four goal cushion was maintained when Gabe headed home from a Dannon free-kick, just as his Dad (who was away on a coaching course) rang to see how the match was going. The ref blew for full-time shortly afterwards, Wareham running out 5-1 winners. Manager Kev Keates commented 'the boys acquitted themselves well in what could have been a tricky away game. They never stopped trying to play their football and fully deserved their victory'.